Instructional Designer/Online Help Developer - Sacramento, CA
Description: The Instructional Designer/Online Help Developer may write content for an online help system and/or update desk references and graphic job aids for users of the Case Management, Information and Payrolling System (CMIPS II) deployed for the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) and the Office of System Integration (OSI). The context-sensitive help system, written in MadCap Flare, describes the system for end users. All other training products (User's Manual and Training Materials) are written in MS Word. There is currently an Instructional Developer on the project who works on user documentation for CMIPS II. A previous online help developer on the project has created most of the topics in online help. We need a new online help developer to complete updates to online help topics and help in converting the User's Manual from MS Word to MadCap Flare.
- Validate the accuracy of online help topics.
- Assist writing or developing a user-focused online help system and/or online guide.
- Update the task analysis as needed.
- Ensure that context-sensitive help topics are deployed correctly.
- Ensure that all content is clearly written and reflects the user’s point of view.
- Ensure that all topics conform to the style guide for the project.
- Report status regularly to the Training Manager and Instructional Designer.
- Assist in the export of online help content into Word templates for print-based user documentation.
- Assist in the completion of converting the User's Manual from MS Word to MadCap Flare.
- Assist with updates to other training products (User's Manual, Training Materials or WBT), as needed.
- Follow the parameters of the Engility contract with the prime vendor.
- Bachelor degree in English, Journalism, Instructional Technology or Technical Communication preferred.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate technical information for a nontechnical audience.
- Experienced producing online help systems using industry-standard help authoring tools.
- Familiar with the software development life cycle process.
- Demonstrated experience developing user-centered content, particularly in a training environment, performance support products, designing and working.
- Demonstrated ability to design and work with a task analyses.
- Integrate new training content into existing training curricula.
- Excellent interpersonal manner and an ability to communicate effectively with the project personnel and the client personnel.
- Perform peer review of training materials written by other instructional designers, to confirm quality and soundness of instructional design and system accuracy.
- Familiarity with MadCap Flare a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Minimum of 3 years experience designing, writing, and editing user documentation for software applications used by nontechnical people.
- Experience working with a variety of subject-matter experts, including business analysts, system developers, system testers, and database administrators.
- Minimum 3 years experience writing online help systems.
© ATD Sacramento Chapter Mail@tdsac.org
Thanks to the generosity of QuestionPro and its Survey Software we are able to track new and exciting data for our stakeholders. QuestionPro's advanced features allow us to collect responses and distribute vital information to participants.